Hi all,

We're trying to implement our puppet infrastructure, and have discovered
something strange about TCP connections between jails on the same host. As our
jails haven't generally been doing a lot of connections between each other,
this issue hasn't popped up before.

We have two 100% equal host systems, on FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p4. These are
8-core Intel systems, with 16GB RAM each.

When the puppetmaster jail is running on the same host as the jail running
puppet agent, connections from the puppet agent randomly fails with 'Connection
reset by peer'. This happens at random stages of configuration sync. Now if
either of the jails are moved to another system (jail stop, zfs snaphot, zfs
send/recv, jail start) on the same physical network, there are no such
problems. It is not a hardware issue, as this happens no matter which of the
two hosts we use. If both puppetmaster and puppet agent reside on the same
physical box, the errors will show up.

There used to be a somewhat similar problem with FTP between jails on the same
host, but this was taken care of some time after 8.0-RELEASE IIRC. That problem
manifested itself in a combination of random connection failures (had to try
2-3 times to establish a connection) and very slow transfer rates (at most
150kbyte/s between jails on the same host, but >50mbyte/s between jails on
different hosts on the same network).

I am going to try to repeat this on 9.0-RELEASE - but in the meantime, has
anyone seen this before? Is there anything I have missed, sysctls I should
set/adjust?

The /etc/rc.conf settings for the jails are very simple - the following
differing from the default:
jail_sysvipc_allow="YES"
jail_mount_enable="YES"
jail_devfs_enable="YES"

/etc/sysctl.conf contains the following jail-related:
security.jail.enforce_statfs=0
security.jail.mount_allowed=1
security.jail.allow_raw_sockets=1

Thanks,