Любомир Григоров wrote:
Hello all, I am using FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE with Konstantin's patch from March
22nd. Everything else is stock. However, after heavy load, or compiling,
C-states go to C1 as lowest. I think once they pass the threshold, they
don't go back.

ThinkPad X220
i5 2520M with integrated Intel video

In /etc/sysctl.conf
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest=C3
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest=C3
dev.cpu.2.cx_lowest=C3
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest=C3

In /etc/rc.conf
powerd_enable="YES"
powerd_flags="-a hiadaptive -b adaptive -i 85 -r 60 -p 100"

However, once the  cores go to C1, they stay there forever, unless I
manually set them all back.

Any idea on this?

Have you checked http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption?

1. For CX states to function correctly you better disable throttling and powerd. I also witnessed at least one machine that hitting any CX mode stops generate interrupts on APIC clock (I had to boot it with a mousee until I disabled APIC clocks).

2. You don't need to set each processor CX value, you only need to set:

hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C3

All cpu's will inherit default profile.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.