On 04/15/12 03:29, Ronald Klop wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 04:28:06 +0200, Joseph Olatt <j...@eskimo.com> wrote:

Hi,

Starting with 8.3, I've been experiencing FreeBSD freezing up completely
after using firefox for a while. Thinking the problem would go away if I
upgraded to 9.0, I did that and I am still experiencing the same
freezing up. The mouse pointer freezes, the keyboard freezes (caps lock
light will not come on; Ctrl-Alt-F[1-10] does not work etc.). The only
way to get the system back is by pressing and holding down the power
button.

The problem seems similar to: kern/163145

There is nothing in /var/log/messages to indicate a problem. Output of
pciconf -lv and uname -a are at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/wisdom/

Anybody else experiencing similar freeze ups with 8.3 or 9.0 while using
firefox?

Since Firefox uses all kinds of GPU stuff nowadays. Is it possible it locks up your graphics card?
I suggest trying to turn of GPU hardware acceleration in Firefox.

Ronald.

Ronald and Joseph,

I've been seeing this too on an AMD Phenom II X3 720 running Stable from 2012-03-23. A Prescott Dell, 9 Stable, I use at work does it too. The freezes last some number of second, longer if Youtube types of video is involved. Annoying. I'll try the graphics tip.

Thanks,