On Jun 5, 2012, at 6:42 PM, David Magda wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2012, at 20:16, Scott Long wrote:
>
>> If you have any questions, let me know or follow the information links on the
>> OpenConnect web site.
>
> Out of curiosity, given that Linux seems popular in so many other places
> (Google, Facebook), is there any particular reason why FreeBSD was chosen for
> this?
>
> I'm sure Linux is used in many other places (much of Netflix's IT
> infrastructure is on Amazon IIRC), so I'm kind of surprised that they went
> with FreeBSD when they probably already have so much knowledge with Linux.

Linux works wonderfully on EC2 for our C&C and computational tasks, FreeBSD is
proving to work well on deployed hardware for serving bits.  It highly
maintainable, and there's an excellent community supporting it.  From the
website:

For the operating system, we use FreeBSD <http://www.freebsd.org/> version
9.0. This was selected for its balance of stability and features, a strong
development community and staff expertise. We will contribute changes we
make as part of our project to the community through the FreeBSD committers
on our team.