On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Erich Dollansky wrote:

I ran FreeBSD since 8 on this machine but I have had to start finding a
new setting for xorg.conf to make X working again after a recent
upgrade.

Enable moused in rc.conf and the following from xorg.conf helped me this
time:

#
# 24.07.12 ed:  we enable the mouse and see what will happen.
#
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"       # 24.07.12 ed:
enabled for 1.7.7 #     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AllowEmptyInput"     "false"       #
16.07.10 ed: enabled for 1.7.5 # 24.07.12 ed: disabled for 1.7.7

                        #
16.07.12 ed:    setting it to false
#                                       freezes X until mouse
#                                       moves #
Option  "AutoAddDevices"      "false" EndSection

I have had to define the mouse as InputDevice and set AllowEmptyInput
to false.

The comment wrap there is very confusing. But please stop using AllowEmptyInput. It was so misused that it has even been removed from later versions of xorg.
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

There is an interaction with hald and moused that makes it worthwhile lately for some users to run moused from rc.conf. There may be a similar interaction with kbdmux(4) or some other keyboard component for keyboards.

hald can be improved greatly by its absence.