At 04:32 PM 11/3/2012, Karl Denninger wrote:

It is utter insanity to enable, by default, filesystem options that break the canonical backup solution in the handbook ("dump", when used with "-L", which it must be to dump a live filesystem SAFELY.)

I have not used "dump" in many, many years. So, I hope the installer will not make it difficult for me to turn on SU+J despite the problem you mention above.

That being said, "dump" should obviously be fixed to work with SU+J. Perhaps there could be a workaround (e.g. synchronizing the file system and temporarily turning off journaling during a backup) that would eliminate the need to turn SU+J off all the time while a more graceful fix is being readied.

--Brett