On 12/18/12 18:44, Chris H wrote:
On 12/18/12 16:18, Robert Watson wrote:
Dear all:

Just an FYI that the new distributed audit daemon has been MFC'd to
9
20121201:
          With the addition of auditdistd(8), a new auditdistd user is now
          depended on during installworld.  "mergemaster -p" can be used
to add
          the user prior to installworld, as documented in the handbook.

should be "prior to installkernel" then also instead of "prior to
installworld"
Greetings,
  FWIW, I just performed an build(world||kernel) && install(world||kernel)
yesterday.
I used the following:

cd /usr/src

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=<mykern_name_here>
make install KERNCONF=<mykern_name_here>

Hi
I guess you did make installkernel instead of just make install KERNCONF=<mykern_name_here> ?

I did a day ago on a 9.1-RC3:

freebsd-update
make buildkernel
make installkernel

Then got prompted that the auditdistd user did not exist so I had to add it prior to installing the kernel.
But this was when going from 9.1-RC3 to 9.1-RELEASE
So I copied the bits from a CURRENT machine where everything went fine using the standard buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, mergemaster -p, installworld, mergemaster procedure

So that was not the usual way, but just using freebsd-update and installing a custom kernel.

On CURRENT it went al well.

Never mind and thanks.

reboot to single user...

mount -u /
mount -a

cd /usr/src
mergemaster -p
blah,blah,blah...
make installworld
mergemaster
reboot

All of the auditdistd bits were merged into my system, and all is well.
Isn't that the way Updating lists the "correct" order?

Yes it is. I did an unusual combination of binary update and then building and installing a custom kernel.

Anyway, that's how I understood it, and just wanted to report that it
all worked as expected/anticipated.

HTH, and best wishes.

--Chris