On 13/02/2013 12:52, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:

afaik, in prior discussion some years ago an issue was mentioned that
some ports don't build with stack-protector, so I suggested to introduce
STACK_PROTECTOR_SAFE/_UNSAFE knobs similar to what we have for
MAKE_JOBS_SAFE_/_UNSAFE (we might actually only need
STACK_PROTECTOR_UNSAFE, as unlike MAKE_JOBS, build errors caused by
enabling stack protector are not transient, so we can have an exp-run
to just mark all uncompatible ports and consider all others compatible).

If there's interest in this, I can refresh the patch and submit it.

I think it sounds like a good idea - I'd go with only specify unsafe when needed.