02.03.2013 03:12, David Magda:

On Mar 1, 2013, at 12:55, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:

Yes, I'm working with backups the same way, I wrote a simple script that
synchronizes two filesystems between distant servers. I also use the same
script to synchronize bushy filesystems (with hundred thousands of files) where
rsync produces a too big load for synchronizing.

https://github.com/kworr/zfSnap/commit/08d8b499dbc2527a652cddbc601c7ee8c0c23301

There are quite a few scripts out there:

        http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=zfs

A lot of them require python or ruby, and none of them manages synchronizing snapshots over network.

For file level copying, where you don't want to walk the entire tree, here is the
"zfs diff" command:

zfs diff [-FHt] snapshot [snapshot|filesystem]

         Describes differences between a snapshot and a successor dataset. The
         successor dataset can be a later snapshot or the current filesystem.

         The changed files are displayed including the change type. The change
         type is displayed useing a single character. If a file or directory
         was renamed, the old and the new names are displayed.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zfs

This allows one to get a quick list of files and directories, then use
tar/rsync/cp/etc. to do the actual copy (where the destination does not have to
be ZFS: e.g., NFS, ext4, Lustre, HDFS, etc.).

I know that but I see no reason in reverting to file-based synch if I can do block-based.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.