On 03/07/13 17:18, Doug Hardie wrote:

> On 7 March 2013, at 11:57, Kevin Oberman <rkober...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Doug Hardie <bc...@lafn.org> wrote:

>>> That's worked for me 3 times now.
>>
>> Thanks.  Well, I got 9.1 Release installed, but it won't boot from the
>> internal disk.  It doesn't see the disk as bootable.  I installed using the
>> entire disk for FreeBSD.  I used the i386 release.  Perhaps I need to switch
>> to the amd64 release?
>>
>> I would generally recommend using the amd64 release, but it may not get your
>> system to boot.
>>
>> How is your disk partitioned? GPT? Some BIOSes are broken and assume that a
>> GPT formatted disk is UEFI and will not recognize them if they lack the UEFI
>> boot partition. UEFI boot is a current project that seems likely to reach
>> head in the fairly near future, but it's not possible now.
>
> No idea what the default partitioning is for BSDInstall.  However the Mini is
> only EFI or UFEI with some fallbacks although the comments I find in the web
> indicate that different models have different fallbacks.
>
> One comment indicates that an older unit will boot if its MBR partitioning.
> I don't know if the new installer supports that or not.
>

>> You may be able to tweak your BIOS to get it to work or you may have to
>> install using the traditional partitioning system. The installer defaults to
>> GPT, but can create either.
>>
>> I have such a system (ThinkPad T520) and I have two disks... one that came
>> with the system and containing Windows, and my GPT formatted FreeBSD disk. I
>> wrote a FreeBSD BootEasy boot into the MBR of the Windows disk and it CAN
>> boot the GPT disk just fine. Not ideal for most, but it works well for me
>
> Based on a comment I say, waiting till the empty folder icon appears and then
> plugging in the install memstick causes the mini to boot from disk.  That
> just downright weird, but it works.  I could live with that, but this is an
> unattended server and would experience some down time if I am not there when
> there is a power failure.
>
> I just found some "instructions" for using MBR with bsdinstall, but given
> there is an effort to create a UEFI boot which I suspect would expect to find
> the GPT boot partition, perhaps I should just go with the memstick approach?
>
> -- Doug

FWIW, here are the brief notes I made for what has been working for me for the
last year or so; most recently with a new Mini purchased about 2 weeks ago. I'm
using the entire drive for FreeBSD.

Hit Option key while booting, then select 'Windows' USB image.

Now trying GPT; looks fine, but will only boot with USB stick in
place. If it's not there, just get a folder with a '?' when starting
up.

Using MBR; boots ok without USB stick. It just takes about 30 seconds before it
actually boots.

Select YES when asked about GMT.

--
Richard Kuhns <r...@wintek.com>     My Desk:          765-269-8541
Wintek Corporation                 Internet Support: 765-269-8503