On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:37:08PM +1030 I heard the voice of
Daniel O'Connor, and lo! it spake thus:
Hi,
I recently updated my 9.1-PRE system's ports and my previous X
config now results in no mouse (but the keyboard does work).

I found that I needed to add the following..
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
EndSection

I think general wisdom is that AEI is a Bad Idea for various reasons
that I don't remember, but seemed reasonable when I read them.

However, some time back, X _did_ start being all stupid about finding
the mouse for me.  Un/re-plugging it (USB) after starting X made it
show up working, but that's annoying and stupid (and not an option on
other systems with e.g. PS/2 meece).  I wound up sticking the "other
half" of that oft-cargo-culted incantation:

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection

in my config, and it's worked OK since.  's probably worth a try...

Both options were used to tell X not to use hal for input device detection. AEI was misused for that, but kind of worked while causing other problems.

Turning off AutoAddDevices is the good way that does not cause other problems.

Even better is just to deinstall hal. I believe it is still required by Gnome and KDE, but xfce runs fine without it.