----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Chadwick" <j...@koitsu.org>
To: "Scott Sipe" <csco...@gmail.com>
Cc: "freebsd-stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: ZFS Panic after freebsd-update

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 11:35:30AM -0400, Scott Sipe wrote:
*** Sorry for partial first message! (gmail sent after multiple returns
apparently?) ***

Hello,

I have not had much time to research this problem yet, so please let me
know what further information I might be able to provide.

This weekend I attempted to upgrade a computer from 8.2-RELEASE-p3 to 8.4
using freebsd-update. After I rebooted to test the new kernel, I got a
panic. I had to take a picture of the screen. Here's a condensed version:

panic: page fault
cpuid = 1
KDB: stack backtrace:
#0 kdb_backtrace
#1 panic
#2 trap_fatal
#3 trap_pfault
#4 trap
#5 calltrap
#6 vdev_mirror_child_select
#7 ved_mirror_io_start
#8 zio_vdev_io_start
#9 zio_execute
#10 arc_read
#11 dbuf_read
#12 dbuf_findbp
#13 dbuf_hold_impl
#14 dbuf_hold
#15 dnode_hold_impl
#16 dnu_buf_hold
#17 zap_lockdir
Uptime: 5s
Cannot dump. Device not defined or unavailable.
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

uname -a from before (and after) the reboot:

FreeBSD xeon 8.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Sep 27 18:45:57
UTC 2011     r...@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 amd64

dmesg is attached.

I was able to reboot to the old kernel and am up and running back on 8.2
right now.

Any thoughts?

This says your running a 8.2-RELEASE-p3 kernel not an 8.4-RELEASE kernel.

Did the upgrade fail or is that dmesg / uname from your old kernel?

   Regards
   Steve

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmas...@multiplay.co.uk.