On 2015-03-16 11:23, John Baldwin wrote:
On Monday, March 16, 2015 10:17:54 AM Brandon Allbery wrote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Michael BlackHeart <amdm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello there. I've got a problem. Recently my personal server issued a
> kernel panic. Then there's a dump and so on. But there's no dump
> information after reboot. I do not know what was really the panic cause but
> assume that savecore failed because of RAID.
>
> Problem - minidump was done (I saw it was) but was not recovered by
> savecore after reboot into /var/vrash

(...)

> /dev/ufs/varfs          /var            ufs     rw,noatime
>      2       2

Last I checked, savecore had to happen very early --- before filesystems
other than / are mounted.

No, it can happen after that. What really has to happen is that you don't use swap (if you are dumping to your swap partition) before savecore runs.

Can someone elaborate on not using swap as a dump device a little more? I have
had instances in the past were I had issues with getting a core dump
and resorted to a dedicated dump device but didn't investigate further nor have
I read this as a requirement.

A second question - Can a USB devices be used reliably for a dump device for
ZFS on boot systems?

Regards,

Michael Jung