Walter,

thanks for your suggestions.

to quickly answer: I' already evacuated data to the new drive (see the last
paragraph of my original message). Luckily no critical data were on failed disk
part, so rsync finished well the very first pass.

The only question still actually open for me is why the kernel was stuck in
geom, not returning read/write errors to the applications

I'll try to collect lab machine with this drive (which is still by my work
table) and reproduce the error.

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 ma...@freebsd.org ]