On 06/23/15 04:36, Reko Turja wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: Willem Jan Withagen Sent: Monday,
> June 22, 2015 11:48 PM To: Daniel Genis ;
> freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Subject: Re: can the l2arc memory leak
> fix be pulled into 10.1-RELEASE ?
>
>>> We are kind of new to FreeBSD, so we're wondering what are the
>>> plans to merge these fixes into the 10.1-RELEASE branch ?
>>>
>>> We'd love to get these fixes without having to rebuild the
>>> kernel. Is there any chance for the merge to happen in the near
>>> future, or should we compile the kernel to get the fixes?
>
>> The RELEASE branch is exactly what it says, RELEASE. And is only
>> done once per version when the actual official RELEASE is. So the
>> next one will be the upcoming 10.2-RELEASE. Which is schedules
>> for August 2015 according to:
>
> There are actually 2 branches tracking release: RELEASE which is
> the original release itself and RELENG which is the
> release+security and some errata fixes. In practice one should
> always track and compile RELENG sources with production servers,
> unless there's a bugfix or added driver that's only available in
> STABLE.

The release/X.Y.Z are actually "tags" and not branches (i.e. read only
copy of whatever state is in the release engineering/errata branch,
releng/X.Y, is at the time it's released), but technically in svn a
tag is also a branch.  We do all efforts to avoid making any changes
once a tag is laid, because it's a historical and reference point.

Users who use -RELEASE should track releng/X.Y branch, or use
freebsd-update(1) to keep their system up-to-date.

Our goal is to allow a majority of users to use binary releases
without having to compile and build themselves.  If you know some
specific reasons that forces you to compile yourself, please consider
sending re@ an email so we will see what we can improve this.

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delp...@delphij.net>    https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!           Live free or die