On 08/18/15 23:54, Rick Macklem wrote:
Ouch! Yes, I now see that the code that counts the # of mbufs is before the
code that adds the tcp/ip header mbuf.

In my opinion, this should be fixed by setting if_hw_tsomaxsegcount to whatever
the driver provides - 1. It is not the driver's responsibility to know if a
tcp/ip
header mbuf will be added and is a lot less confusing that expecting the driver
author to know to subtract one. (I had mistakenly thought that tcp_output() had
added the tc/ip header mbuf before the loop that counts mbufs in the list. Btw,
this tcp/ip header mbuf also has leading space for the MAC layer header.)

Hi Rick,

Your question is good. With the Mellanox hardware we have separate so-called inline data space for the TCP/IP headers, so if the TCP stack subtracts something, then we would need to add something to the limit, because then the scatter gather list is only used for the data part.

Maybe it can be controlled by some kind of flag, if all the three TSO limits should include the TCP/IP/ethernet headers too. I'm pretty sure we want both versions.

--HPS