On Mon, 25 Jan 2016, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Daniel Eischen <deisc...@freebsd.org>
wrote:

I'm trying to build an i386 buildworld on an amd64 system.
I'm at r294370.

This is what I've tried so far:

  make TARGET_ARCH=i386 MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/opt/foo/obj.x86 -j8 buildworld
  make TARGET=i386 MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/opt/foo/obj.x86 -j8 buildworld

Neither of which work.  They both result in the error below.  What
is the standard procedure for cross-building i386 from amd64?

It looks like you are not alone in encountering these problems.
For this build set up by Li-Wen Hsu:
https://jenkins.freebsd.org/job/FreeBSD_HEAD_i386

he downloads this image
http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/i386/10.2-RELEASE/base.txz
and then extracts that to create an i386 jail, where the build is performed
on an amd64 host.

I guess there was a real compilation bug in the version of
-stable that I first used.  After updating from r294370 to
r294747, the problem seems to have been fixed.  FYI, the
following worked:

  make TARGET_ARCH=i386 -j4 buildworld

--
DE