I'm trying to rebuild my local ports tree using libressl.  Unfortunately
the linker is advising that I should build /usr/lib/libcrypt.a with -fPIC.
As its a security-related module, I would appreciate advise as to whether
this will/may cause a security issue?

The message, during the link phase, that both python27 and perl 5.20 is
sending is:
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(crypt.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against
`a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
/usr/lib/libcrypt.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I understand the value of fPIC for shareable libraries but I'm a little
confused as to why libcrypt.a requires -fPIC; which BTW does enable both
python, perl and others to build cleanly.

Regards, Dewayne