On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Scott Bennett <benn...@sdf.org> wrote:

>      I'm running into a problem in updating my 10-STABLE system from
> source.
> A "make buildworld" quits immediately.  I tried a fresh svn checkout for
> base/stable/10 and then tried to run buildworld again, but got the same
> error.
> I've been scratching my head over this for hours, but must be missing
> something
> simple.
>      I have ccache installed and have been using it for a fairly long time
> now.
> My /etc/src.conf contains just two lines:
>
> PORTS_MODULES=multimedia/cuse4bsd-kmod sysutils/pefs-kmod #
> emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
> WITH_LLDB=yes
>
> My /etc/make.conf is rather longer, so I'll append it following .sig below.
>
>      Here's what happens.
>
> Script started on Thu Oct  6 23:31:47 2016
> hellas# cd /usr/src
> hellas# nice make buildworld
> Unknown modifier '['
>
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1113: Malformed conditional
> (${BUILDKERNELS:[)
> Unknown modifier '['
>
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1122: if-less endif
> Unknown modifier '['
>
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1144: Malformed conditional
> (${BUILDKERNELS:[)
> Unknown modifier '['
>
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1161: if-less endif
> Unknown modifier '['
>
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1183: Malformed conditional
> (${BUILDKERNELS:[)
> Unknown modifier '['
>
> "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1", line 1190: if-less endif
> bmake: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/src
> hellas# exit
> exit
>
> Script done on Thu Oct  6 23:37:00 2016
>
>      This just started happening after my machine had been down for a
> couple
> of days after a hang that damaged stuff in /usr/home.  I had already
> restored
> /usr/local from backups before narrowing down the weird behavior I was
> seeing
> in wmaker to /usr/home corruption.  So /usr/home has now been restored to
> good condition, too, but perhaps I need to restore something else as well.
> This mess was part of my justification to myself for the fresh checkout of
> /usr/src, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference in the
> buildworld
> failure.
>      If anyone else can see what's wrong and clue me in, I'd be grateful.
> I'm subscribed to the digest for this list, so please Cc: me directly, so
> I'll get replies right away.
> Thanks in advance!
>

>                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG

Could something else have gotten corrupted?

> ls -i /bin/[
65795 /bin/[
> ls -i /bin/test
65795 /bin/test

The values (inode) will not match these, but must be identical.

'[' needs to be a hard link to test. I'm suspicious that something happened
to this link. If this is the case, other corruption may have occurred, but,
if you can re-create the hardlink (ln /bin/test /bin/[) and successfully
make buildworld  and make buildkernel, it's likely that you can reinstall
the system and the system will be fine. Of course, things could be damaged
in the installed ports, too.
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com