On 16 Oct 2016, at 17:22, Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 5:34 AM, Dimitry Andric <d...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 16 Oct 2016, at 12:20, Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolf...@getmail.no>
>> wrote:
>>> I am trying to build FreeBSD 11.0-stable on a machine which runs:
>>> tingo@kg-v7$ uname -a
>>> FreeBSD kg-v7.kg4.no 10.1-STABLE FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE #0 r278322: Fri Feb  6
>>> 21:36:01 CET 2015
>>> r...@kg-v7.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>>
>>> I have emptied /usr/src and /usr/obj and fetched the latest stable/11 via
>>> subversion:
>>> tingo@kg-v7$ egrep "^BRANCH|^REVISION" /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
>>> REVISION="11.0"
>>> BRANCH="STABLE"
>>>
>>> But building it (per the procedure in the handbook) fails at the buildworld
>>> stage. Both 'make -j5 buildworld' and 'make buildworld' fails, like this:
>>>
>>> c++: error: unable to execute command: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>> Please make sure your stable/10 is at least r286033.
>
> What's the issue this fixes?

It fixes a possible crash in clang 3.4, which can occur if newer
versions of llvm are compiled.  Unfortunately this fix only went in
after 10.3-RELEASE.

> Right now we have safeties in place in
> buildworld that indicate we 'support' back to 9 sometime. If that's
> not really the case, we need to fix something (either fix so we don't
> need this specific revision, or fix the Makefile to indicate we don't
> support back that far).

The fix was also merged to stable/9 in r286035.  As far as I know, we
have always required people to upgrade to the latest revision in stable
branches before attempting to hop to the next stable branch (or head).

-Dimitry