On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 10:16 PM, Jason Harmening <jason.harmen...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11/01/16 20:45, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Jason Harmening
> > <jason.harmen...@gmail.com <mailto:jason.harmen...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Sorry, that should be ~*30ms* to get 30fps, though the variance is
> still
> >     up to 500ms for me either way.
> >
> >     On 11/01/16 14:29, Jason Harmening wrote:
> >     > repro code is at http://pastebin.com/B68N4AFY if anyone's
> interested.
> >     >
> >     > On 11/01/16 13:58, Jason Harmening wrote:
> >     >> Hi everyone,
> >     >>
> >     >> I recently upgraded my main amd64 server from 10.3-stable
> >     (r302011) to
> >     >> 11.0-stable (r308099).  It went smoothly except for one big issue:
> >     >> certain applications (but not the system as a whole) respond very
> >     >> sluggishly, and video playback of any kind is extremely choppy.
> >     >>
> >     >> The system is under very light load, and I see no evidence of
> >     abnormal
> >     >> interrupt latency or interrupt load.  More interestingly, if I
> >     place the
> >     >> system under full load (~0.0% idle) the problem *disappears* and
> >     >> playback/responsiveness are smooth and quick.
> >     >>
> >     >> Running ktrace on some of the affected apps points me at the
> problem:
> >     >> huge variance in the amount of time spent in the nanosleep system
> >     call.
> >     >> A sleep of, say, 5ms might take anywhere from 5ms to ~500ms from
> >     entry
> >     >> to return of the syscall.  OTOH, anything CPU-bound or that waits
> on
> >     >> condvars or I/O interrupts seems to work fine, so this doesn't
> >     seem to
> >     >> be an issue with overall system latency.
> >     >>
> >     >> I can repro this with a simple program that just does a 3ms
> >     usleep in a
> >     >> tight loop (i.e. roughly the amount of time a video player would
> >     sleep
> >     >> between frames @ 30fps).  At light load ktrace will show the huge
> >     >> nanosleep variance; under heavy load every nanosleep will
> complete in
> >     >> almost exactly 3ms.
> >     >>
> >     >> FWIW, I don't see this on -current, although right now all my
> >     -current
> >     >> images are VMs on different HW so that might not mean anything.
> >     I'm not
> >     >> aware of any recent timer- or scheduler- specific changes, so I'm
> >     >> wondering if perhaps the recent IPI or taskqueue changes might be
> >     >> somehow to blame.
> >     >>
> >     >> I'm not especially familiar w/ the relevant parts of the kernel,
> >     so any
> >     >> guidance on where I should focus my debugging efforts would be
> [...]
You are almost certainly correct. My system is circa 2011; i5-2520M, Sandy
Bridge. While it might have the same issue, I'd be surprised. It's
possible, but probably completely different from what you are seeing.
Reports of the problem I was seeing definitely pre-date 11, but 11 made
things much worse, so it could be a combination of things. And I can't see
how ULE could have anything to do with this issue.

Congratulations on some really good sleuthing to find this.
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com