Did something change between 10.x and 11.0 with carp MASTER election and
advskew?

I have several 10.3 servers where the master is elected based on the member
with the LOWEST advskew.

From a pair of 10.3 servers:

        vlan: 100 parent interface: lagg0
        carp: MASTER vhid 10 advbase 1 advskew 100

        vlan: 100 parent interface: lagg0
        carp: BACKUP vhid 10 advbase 1 advskew 110

Deploying a new pair of 11.0-RELEASE servers, I see the opposite; seems like
the member with the HIGHEST advskew wins now:

        carp: BACKUP vhid 20 advbase 1 advskew 0
        groups: lagg

        carp: MASTER vhid 20 advbase 1 advskew 100
        groups: lagg

Preemption doesn’t seem to matter, even with preemption enabled. (which it is).

From OpenBSD, man reads:

advskew
This optional parameter specifies how much to skew the advbase when sending
CARP advertisements. By manipulating advskew, the master CARP host can be
chosen. The higher the number, the less preferred the host will be when
choosing a master. The default is 0. Acceptable values are from 0 to 254.

And this seems true in 10.3 but reversed in 11.0 ?

--
inoc.net!rblayzor
XMPP: rblayzor.AT.inoc.net