On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:16 AM, tech-lists <tech-li...@zyxst.net> wrote:

> On 12/12/2016 09:07, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>
>> My question is, do you build modules redundantly, or just once?
>> I don't want to build the same modules more than once.
>>

> For me - redundantly, I guess. It's not like it takes a lot of time or
> space on the compiling machine, and I ensure that everything that needs to
> be built, is built.
>
> PUMPKIN = heavily modified config with all the stuff I don't need stripped
> out, and a couple of non-default lines.
>
> GENERIC = unmodified kernel that should work if by some chance PUMPKIN
> doesn't.
> --
> J.

Clearly the documentation is a bit behind the times. For some time people
have used KERNCONF to build multiple kernels, but that was a lucky things
that was not officially supported. It just happened to work. Then, with
11.0, it no longer did in many cases sue to changes in the kernel build
system. When people complained, there did not seem to be a way to fix this
without blocking future goals in speeding up and enhancinghte standard
kernel build.

The result was BUILDKERNELS. It was specifically designed to allow the
building of multiple kernels and the appropriate modules. This would always
take longer and use more disk space, but it would work reliably. Now, bit
building a single, local kernel, KERNCONF is the best way, though I suspect
that it make only a small difference until new capabilities are added later
in the life of 11.

So, while it seems the man pages need to catch up, building multiple
kernels should be done with KERNCONF in either make.conf or src.conf and
multiple kernels with BUILDKERNELS.

This is from my recollection of the discussion thread. I'll admit to being
too lazy to go find and read all of it. I suspect it was on current@, but
I'm not even sure of that.
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com