I have a pair network gateway boxes running FreeBSD 11 and pf. Upstream runs
VRRP to provide redundant links, one to each gateway. Internally I'm using CARP
for failover.

All works well, but I find that manually failing over the link is a bit
complicated. In short I have this:

em0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500
        status: active
        carp: BACKUP vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 50
igb0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        status: active
        carp: BACKUP vhid 2 advbase 1 advskew 50
igb0.2: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500
        status: active
        vlan: 2 vlanpcp: 0 parent interface: igb0
        carp: BACKUP vhid 3 advbase 1 advskew 50
        groups: vlan

That's two internal vlans and one external network. Each interface has its own
vhid since that's the advice I had in the past.

Now, what command can I type that I could run remotely (SSH over the em0 link)
to force all the CARP addresses simultaneously to decrease the advskew and
become MASTER. Alternatively I could run something on the MASTER to make it
BACKUP. Everything I've done so far is one command per interface which has got
me in trouble before as I manage to accidentally remove my own access to the
box before I'm done.

Cheers
Ari

please cc me.