Hi!

It seems that FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE also breaks on EC2 in some cases. I had this
problem before when upgrading to 11.0. This problem was noticed in the ERRATA:
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/errata.html#open-issues
 and later said to have been resolved with a EN:
https://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-16:18.loader.asc

Today I tried to upgrade a 11.0-RELEASE-p7 system to 11.1-RELEASE using the
good old build world method as described in the handbook. But after reboot the
machine hangs
in the loader. Reverting to a snapshot of / works fine but of course I have a
lot of problems due to kernel/world mismatch. So I tried to copy the old /boot/
onto the newly updated
system and then it actually gets past the loader. But then fails to boot for
some other reason unknown to me. (Because it does not give any video output)

I have also posted to the forums about this with a few screenshots and more
details of what I have tried:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/61780/

/Peter.