I just had a VM running in Google's cloud become totally useless, and I
tracked it down to the save-entropy operation.

Basically this process was sucking up all CPU, even when nothing else
running other than my ssh shell:

% ps axuw803
USER     PID  %CPU %MEM  VSZ  RSS TT  STAT STARTED     TIME COMMAND
operator 803 100.0  0.1 8336 2096  -  RL   08:55   48:20.14 dd
if=/dev/random of=saved-entropy.1 bs=4096 count=1

The process is unkillable, and I cannot even get the system to shut down.
That has been hanging for about 10 minutes so far, with the last output
being

System shutdown time has arrive90 second watchdSep 11 09:50:02 yertle init:
/bin/sh on /etc/rc.shutdown terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Sep 11 09:50:47 init: some processes would not die; ps axl advised
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 timed out
2 2 2 2 2 2 2

Running FreeBSD 11.1-p1 on a 1CPU standard machine in GCE.

What's the proper recovery from this kind of lockup, or how to prevent it?
I've never encountered this on a bare metal system, or other KVM based
machines.