On 20/09/2017 19:47, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
Hi!

Am 20.09.2017 um 04:09 schrieb Aristedes Maniatis <a...@ish.com.au>:
At the very least I need to remember to keep poudriere on the x.0 release even
after it is EOL,
until every one of my servers has been upgraded

Not necessarily. You can run build jails with lower OS versions on an up-to-date
poudriere system.

In your specific case just build 11.0 and 11.1 packages (until 11.0 breaks ;-)
and
use the appropriate package repos on your various servers.

You *cannot* build 11.1 packages on an 11.0 poudriere, at least not reliably.

While I think custom poudriere builds were in use, the main problem is
users that fail to quickly update to the newest OS release have issues
when installing official pkg updates which break a machine in use.

Without installing a pkg there is no way to know if it will run or
break. A pkg manifest records it's abi as FreeBSD:11:amd64 which doesn't
tell you that it will fail to run on an 11.1 system. There is also no
way to specify a pkg repo path that prevents you getting broken pkgs.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler