I think perhaps a good time to summarize as a few issues seem to be going on

a) fragile BIOS settings. There seems to be a number of issues around
RAM speeds and disabled C-STATES that impact stability.  Specifically,
lowering the default frequency from 2400 to 2133 seems to help some
users with crashes / lockups under heavy loads.

b) CPUs manufactured prior to week 25 (some say week 33?) have a
hardware defect that manifests itself as segfaults in heavy compiles.  I
was able to confirm this on 1 of the CPUs I had using a Linux setup. It
seems to confirm this, you need to physically look at the CPU for the
manufacturing date :( Not sure how to trigger it on FreeBSD reliably,
but there is a github project I used to verify on Linux
(https://github.com/suaefar/ryzen-test)

c) The idle lockup bug.  This *seems* to be confirmed on Linux as well
http://blog.programster.org/ubuntu-16-04-compile-custom-kernel-for-ryzen
and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1690085

d) Compile failures of some ports.  For myself and one other user,
compiling net/samba47 reliably hangs in roughly the same place.  Its not
clear if this is related to any of the above bugs or not.

Right now I have RMA'd my 3 CPUs back to AMD. Hopefully, I will get
replacements in a week and can get back to testing c) and d).

        ---Mike