to close the loop on this thread (for me at least); I replaced the
asrock ab350 with an msi x370 and things now, just work (c). the msi
detects the memory as 2133 (rather than the 3000 mhz it was sold as).
i'm not sure if this because it really is 2133 mhz, or because the msi
just likes that frequency better. i'm also not sure to what extent the
issue was fixed by the slower memory versus the different mobo brand &
chipset.

now my only issue is crashes when I scrub my zfs pool, though I
strongly suspect a dying disk is the cause of that.

Cheers,
peter