* Dimitry Andric wrote:

On 4 Mar 2018, at 18:29, Christian Ullrich <ch...@chrullrich.net> wrote:

I have CPUTYPE?=core-avx2 in make.conf, but that should be irrelevant here.

Actually, that *is* relevant for the stages after bootstrap-tools,
build-tools and cross-tools.  E.g. 4.x and later.

Again, this depends on how exactly you are overriding CPUTYPE.

Thank you for the explanation, Dimitry. As I wrote, I have the host's native CPUTYPE in make.conf (CPUTYPE?=core-avx2) and the target on the command line (make CPUTYPE=slm buildworld buildkernel).

Since my previous e-mail, I actually had the bright idea of removing .../tmp/legacy/usr/bin/install, and that let the installkernel succeed.

My previous assumption that the remainder of the build obeyed the override must have been wrong, though, because installworld failed in strip for /lib/libc.so.7, and after that, nothing worked anymore.

Perhaps I should get a non-x86(_64) build host and really do a full cross build ...

Thanks again,

--
Christian