It would be interesting to test other AMD CPUs.  I think AMD and Intel
have some differences in the virtualization implementations.

I've been using AMD CPU's pretty extensively since the early 90's - back then I was running NeXTStep and out of the three Intel alternatives it was the only one which ran properly. Never seen anything like this before now though. In particular this Ryzen replaces the CPU on an old Phenom II - i.e. its the same disc and hence the same OS and VirtualBox config - and that ran fine.

So theres something odd about the Ryzen here.

Am also not sure its to do with the virtualisation - I got my first lockup with no virtualisation going on at all. Disablign SMT and the system hasnt locked, despite heavy virtualbox use.

-pete.