Hello lists,

For over a decade I've used windowmaker for my freebsd desktop. For easy ssh/sftp access to sites, before starting windowmaker with xinit, I run 'agent' which is a tcsh alias for the following:

rm -f "$HOME"/.ssh/`hostname`.agent ; ssh-agent | grep -v echo > "$HOME"/.ssh/`hostname`.agent ; source "$HOME"/.ssh/`hostname`.agent ; ssh-add

it prompts me for my ssh keyphrase. Then I start xinit, and all windows subsequently opened in xorg/windowmaker have this key in their environment loaded. Connecting to another server is as easy as ssh name@server.

However, this does not happen if MATE is loaded from xinit. It is as if I had not loaded the key at all before starting MATE. I get this error:

sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed: agent refused operation

If I then run 'agent', prompts me for the keyphrase, then it works normally. But I have to repeat this in every single opened terminal.

What do I have to do to stop MATE from clobbering (or whatever it's doing - I don't know where to start with this) ssh-add?

for context: recent freebsd-stable/amd64 and ports

thanks,
--
J.