On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 4:19 PM, Julian H. Stacey <j...@berklix.com> wrote:

> George Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > On 06/01/18 21:31, Glen Barber wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > If you would like to use SVN to do a source based update of an
> existing=
> >
> > > system, use the "stable/11" branch.
> > > [...]
> >
> > So what's releng/11.2, chopped liver?                          -- George
>
> "Chopped liver" ... American colloquialism ... might mean "not useful" ?
> ( Asking for those who learnt English in eg China, Romania, ... & England
> ;-) )
>
> Cheers,
> Julian
>

>From wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopped_liver#Chopped_liver_as_an_expression

     Since eating chopped liver may not be appreciated by everyone, the Jewish
English <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_English_languages> expression
"What am *I*, chopped *liver*?", signifies frustration or anger at being
ignored on a social level.

     An alternative explanation for the etymology of the "What am *I*,
chopped *liver*?" expression is that chopped liver was traditionally served
as a side dish rather than a main course. The phrase, therefore may have
originally meant to express a feeling of being overlooked, as a "side dish."
[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopped_liver#cite_note-2>

     The etymology of the idiom is difficult to trace, with much of spoken
references in older television, comedy and cinema unavailable in text form,
but one early occurrence appears in the book titled, *The Curtain Never
Falls*,[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopped_liver#cite_note-3> by
comedian Joey Adams <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Adams>, published
in 1949.

Kurt