I appear to have found a solution:

I used pkg check -d and it said

pecl-memcached2 has a missing dependency: php56-session
pecl-memcached2 has a missing dependency: php56-json
policyd2 has a missing dependency: php56-pdo_pgsql

php56-session dependency failed to be fixed
php56-json dependency failed to be fixed
php56-pdo_pgsql dependency failed to be fixed

So use pkg remove to delete pecl-memcached2 and policyd2 and now when I
use  pkg it appears to work as expected

[root@natasha /usr/local/etc/postfix]# pkg install alpine

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        alpine: 2.21.9999

Number of packages to be installed: 1

The process will require 8 MiB more space.
2 MiB to be downloaded.