On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 01:18:35PM -0600, Kyle Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:15 PM Jonathan Chen <j...@chen.org.nz> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 07:55, Stefan Bethke <s...@lassitu.de> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > The UEFI man page has a good explanation of which files are involved in
> > > booting:
> > > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=uefi&sektion=8&manpath=freebsd-release-ports
> > >
> > > I mounted the ESP and copied /boot/boot1.efi to
> > > /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. Surprisingly, the new boot1.efi is much
> > > smaller than what I had before (according to the timestamp from
> > > November), but using that, booting seems to be restored.
> > >
> > > # grep efi /etc/fstab
> > > /dev/ada0p2             /boot/efi       msdos   rw,noauto       0       0
> > > # mount /boot/efi
> > > # ls -l /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bak/BOOTX64.EFI
> > > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   81920 Jan 11 18:43
> > > /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI*
> > > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  410112 Nov 25 16:27
> > > /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bak/BOOTX64.EFI*
> >
> > While the uefi(8) man page suggests that boot1.efi should be used,
> > loader.efi can also substituted. I believe the release images use
> > loader.efi instead of boot1.efi, as it's slightly more efficient.
> >

> Indeed, boot1.efi is a hack that's going to get kicked out of the tree
> in due time.

Can I request a clarification in the man page?  At least in 11.2 the
uefi(8) man page state

-- QUOTE --
           2.   boot1.efi reads boot configuration from /boot.config or
                /boot/config.  Unlike other first-stage boot loaders,
                boot1.efi passes the configuration to the next stage boot
                loader and does not itself act on the contents of the file.
-- QUOTE --

It's not 100% clear, although implied by the fact that the next step
looks for freebsd-ufs or freebsd-zfs partitions, that the boot.config is
loaded from the ESP (at least I'm guessing that's where it's loaded
from).  Could the location of where boot.config is loaded from be
clarified please?

Thanks,

Gary