> On May 15, 2019, at 12:28 PM, Andrea Venturoli <m...@netfence.it> wrote:
>
> On 5/15/19 6:16 PM, Matt Garber wrote:
>
>> Exactly. If batching 8 (or more) individual bugs/issues together into
>> one release is really causing admin/manpower overload and angst,then
>> maybe it’s time in your situation to use the binary updates (which
>> would only be a single `freebsd-update` and reboot, so there would
>> be no ‘sudden unplanned outages’) rather than tracking src and
>> remediating each individual bug at a time.
>
> Maybe I'm dumb, but I still don't get what "src vs binary" has to do with "8
> vs 1"...
> I ran a single "svn update; make buildworld; make kernel; make installworld;
> reboot", not 8...
>
> bye
>       av.

Agreed. But if, say, you were tracking specific svn revisions rather than just
jumping to the latest, I *guess* it might involve 8 separate builds?

I certainly prefer one, batched downtime event to address across all affected
systems, regardless of binary updates or src, and I imagine most other
individuals/companies/organizations do, too.

--
Matt