On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 5:34 PM Kevin Oberman <rkober...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM Mark Johnston <ma...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 01:05:50PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> issues
>> 24-Jul.
>> Meg.),

>> in
>> > >

>> > I am monitoring memory usage with gkrellm. It appears to define "Free"
>> as
>> > the sum of "Inactive" and "Free". If you are referring to size of the
>> VM,
>> > was supposed to be the memory specified when I created the VM, but my
>> > fingers got ahead of my brain and it should have been 4G, not 4M. Hey!
>> > What's a few orders of magnitude?
>> >
>> > Oddly, when I watch memory space closely I note that, as the VM loads, I
>> > started seeing swap utilization increase as free space was exhausted at
>> > about 80% loaded. Loading continued to 98%. at that point loading
>> stopped
>> > and swap use continued to grow for a bit. Then free space started to
>> > increase from about 300M to about 700M before the error window popped
>> up.

>> can try
>> three

>> > Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7.
>> >
>> > Failed to load unit 'pgm' (VERR_EM_NO_MEMORY).
>> >
>> > Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
>> > Component: ConsoleWrap
>> > Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

>> after
>> Since
>> is
>> the

>> GENERIC

>> > This started after the 6-Aug build (r350664). My prior build was
>> r350292,
>> > so just before these two commits.
>> >
>> > Can I try just reverting these two? Once I do, it will need to run for a
>> > while or do something to tie up a lot of memory before the error will
>> > recur. In normal use it is a matter of firefox increasing resident
>> memory
>> > until there is not enough free memory to load the VM without swapping.
>> > (These days I often see the sum of all firefox process resident memory
>> > exceeding 3G after it's been up for a day or two. Still, not worse than
>> > chromium.)
>>
>> Those commits can simply be reverted, but I am skeptical that they will
>> help.  You should also verify that these same conditions don't lead to
>> errors on your prior build, if you haven't already.
>>

> OK. Running identical kernel except for 350374-5.
>
> Yes, I am sure that it was not happening with the r350292 kernel. I hit
> this quite consistently when firefox has been running for a while.
>
> Firefox has rss of just under 3G on startup and will slowly grow until I
> don't have the resources to run the Win7 VM without the error. Right now
> the VM completes loading with no swapping and about 800M of memory free
> after it is running. I'll let you know when it gets big enough to cause a
> [...]

For three days I have been trying to repeat the failure with the to changed
backed out and the problem does not occur with 350374-5 reverted.

I have no idea how these changes trigger the issue, but it sure looks like
they do. It happens when a 4G file is being loaded into memory. I have not
looked at the VB code to see if anything unusual is being done. I did
noticed that the problem only seems to show up when the VM is almost fully
loaded... usually 98%, but I have seen it all the way to 100%. That was an
odd "failure" where the error was not fatal. The VM was in a "Paused"
state. I was able to resume it and it ran normally.

Let me know what else, if anything, you would like me to try or test.
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com