Chris,
After you've booted the kernel, the correct way to load a module that isn't
already in the kernel, is to:
kldload mpr
To check if mpr is loaded, try
kldstat -v|grep mpr

However, if you've already placed
mpr_load="YES" in your /etc/loader.conf and rebooted your device, then you
probably need to move into a diagnostic phase.

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 at 08:04, Chris Ross <cross+free...@distal.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 12:29:00PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > > I tried "load", but wasn't able to devine how to load the mpr module
> with
> > > that.  Is that needed, or should 'mpr_load="YES"' have accomplished the
> > > desired result?
> >
> > modulename_load="YES" is the syntax used in the loader.conf file.
> > "load modulename" (without the quotes) is the syntax used at the loader
> > prompt.
> >
> > So at the loader prompt, try the following:  load mpr
> > Or possibly:  load mpr.ko
> > Or, to get right finicky:  load /boot/kernel/mpr.ko
>
> Thanks Freddie and Miroslav.
>
> I tried "load mpr" earler, but it complained it couldn't find it.  I tried
> again a few minutes ago using "load /boot/kernel/mpr.ko", which spun for
> a bit then complained it couldn't load it before the kernel.  I then
> loaded the kernel (by full path), and tried again, with no response.  Just
> an immediate prompt.  I tried "load /boot/kernel/zfs.ko" as well, in case
> mpr.ko was already still in memory, but that also returned an immediate
> prompt
> without saying anything.  So, I think I still have something wrong with my
> attempts to "load".  Should loading the mpr.ko before the kernel work?  It
> didn't with my last attempt (which I realize now was 12.0-RELEASE,
> not 12.1-RELEASE).
>
>        - Chris

*Disclaimer:* *As implied by email protocols, the information in this
message is not confidential. Any intermediary or recipient may inspect,
modify (add), copy, forward, reply to, delete, or filter email for any
purpose unless said parties are otherwise obligated.  Nothing in this
message may be legally binding without cryptographic evidence of its
integrity and/or confidentiality.*