Alexander, Unfortunately maxmind have changed their rules and as per
AdamW's notification in the geoipupdate message for version 4.1.5_1,
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/net/geoipupdate/files/pkg-message.in?view=markup
advises to go to
https://www.maxmind.com/en/geolite2/signup
to create an account, then you will need to go to (I think it was) "My
Licence" where you provide a key description (you enter text) and then you
will need to generate a key.

Adam advises to go to
https://www.maxmind.com/en/accounts/155743/license-key
for the licence, but that is actually his account number (155743),  which I
would suggest is inappropriate.  (Adam!)  ;)

I have walked through the steps, and the account setup involves providing
you email address, to which additional details are sent for the account
creation process.  Once done, you acquire the key.  Once you login to your
account, you will notice a number at the end of the url, after accounts/
(see above) that is your account information that you plug into your
geoipupdate.conf file, and you'll need your licence key as well.   Its a
little convoluted, but it also provides a config file segment which you can
conveniently cut/paste.

Regards, Dewayne.
PS our version of geoipupdate doesn't provide a version number, but the
current version is 4.1.5_1, anything after 3.1.1 should work as described,
if earlier, the account creation process will advise.  So it continues to
work.