On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 22:24:00 -0700 bsd-li...@bsdforge.com said

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 08:26:13 +0400 Igor Pokrovsky i...@unixway.org said

> Hello all,
> > I haven’t been using FreeBSD since 8-STABLE times. Recently I tried to
> install latest 12-STABLE on my old computer.
> But even during initial boot up loader hangs. Eventually I was able to
> proceed with installation after replacing loader in > the installation disk with one found in my old system 8-STABLE. The same
> happened when I tried zfs on root partition.
A lot of things are moving around in /boot over the last year.
Pure speculation; if you're using a usb stick. Mount it from your
currently running system, and

cd <mount-point>/boot
rm ./loader
cp -p ./loader.efi ./loader
STRIKE THAT!
I meant
cp -p ./loader.4th ./loader

sorry!

OH, and you will, of course need to do it as root. :)

--Chris
umount <mount-point>

Then see if it doesn't work for you. Like I said, pure speculation.
But you indicated an old box. So I think you might find this works.

Best wishes!

--Chris