On Jun 24, 2020, at 11:34 PM, Donald Wilde <dwil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Meant that I upgraded from 12.1-RELEASE to 12-STABLE. When I
> configured the -RELEASE install, I manually messed with the MBR disk
> partitions. This is nominally a half-TB HDD which showed up as a total
> of 446 G available (IIRC, gpart should show it's actual size). I did
> auto partitioning, looked at the sizes, and manually set my partitions
> to give me 40G of swap instead of the auto-generated size of 4G.
>
> This is an old Dell i3 laptop. It's really generic, picked
> specifically as something I could use for Ubuntu or FreeBSD. Dell
> SERVICE TAG is 5K8W162, but it's a generic i3 with 4G of RAM.

I think I've missed in this thread where you said which FreeBSD arch you are
running: is it FreeBSD/amd64 or FreeBSD/i386?  (With an "old" machine, 4 GB
RAM, and an install still using MBR, it could potentially be FreeBSD/i386.)

If it is FreeBSD/i386, there is a precedent for it having problems with
configuring large amounts of swap.  However, it is usually related to having
relatively little RAM, too (large amounts of swap space means the OS needs to
use more RAM to keep track of it).

Cheers,

Paul.