> On Jul 27, 2020, at 15:01, Mark Johnston <ma...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 06:16:07PM -0400, Joe Clarke wrote:
>> About two weeks ago, I upgraded from the latest 11-stable to the latest
>> 12-stable.  After that, I periodically see the network throughput come to a
>> near standstill.  This FreeBSD machine is an ESXi VM with two interfaces.
>> It acts as a router.  It uses vmxnet3 interfaces for both LAN and WAN.  It
>> runs ipfw with in-kernel NAT.  The LAN side uses a bridge with vmx0 and a
>> tap0 L2 VPN interface.  My LAN side uses an MTU of 9000, and my vmx1 (WAN
>> side) uses the default 1500.
>>
>> Besides seeing massive packet loss and huge latency (~ 200 ms for on-LAN
>> ping times), I know the problem has occurred because my lldpd reports:
>>
>> Jul 26 15:47:03 namale lldpd[1126]: frame too short for tlv received on
>> bridge0
>>
>> And if I turn on ipfw verbose messages, I see tons of:
>>
>> Jul 26 16:02:23 namale kernel: ipfw: pullup failed
>>
>> This leads to me to believe packets are being corrupted on ingress.  I’ve
>> applied all the recent iflib changes, but the problem persists. What causes
>> it, I don’t know.
>>
>> The only thing that changed (and yes, it’s a big one) is I upgraded to
>> 12-stable.  Meaning, the rest of the network infra and topology has remained
>> the same.  This did not happen at all in 11-stable.
>>
>> I’m open to suggestions.
>
> There are some fixes for vmx not present in stable/12 (yet).  I did a
> merge of a number of outstanding revisions.  Would you be able to test
> the patch?  I haven't observed any problems with it on a host using igb,
> but I have no ability to test vmx at the moment.

I’m down to test anything.  I did notice quite a few vmxnet3 changes around
performance that appealed to me.  I tried a few of them on my last kernel.
That took much longer to exhibit the problem, but eventually did.

I can tell you I don’t have all of these patches in, though.  I’ll build with
this diff and start running it now.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Joe

---