On 2020-08-31 21:51, Christoph Moench-Tegeder wrote:
> Given that the hardware notes
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.4R/hardware.html#proc-i386
> explicitely claim 80486 compatibility, I'd guess this was not a
> consciuous decision but a blunder which wasn't caught

Hmm.... I'd assumed that each release was at least *booted* on a real
486, but obviously not.

> (perhaps as
> hardware of that vintage is getting rare these days. That box
> must be old enough to buy alcohol by now?).

Yes, I first built it in 1998 IIRC; it ran Windows for a few years
(desktop, gaming) then FreeBSD from about 2002. It's been in nearly
continuous operation since, although I did have to replace the PSU last
year ;-)

-C