On 23.12.2020 17:32, Michael Grimm wrote:

git-branch(1):
        With a -m or -M option, <oldbranch> will  be renamed to <newbranch>. If
==============================================^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        <oldbranch> had a corresponding reflog, it is renamed to  match
        <newbranch>, and  a reflog entry is created to remember the branch
        renaming. If <newbranch>  exists, -M must be used to force the rename to
        happen.

I don't understand that text completely, because I don't know what a reflog is,
yet ;-)

Thus: Should I use "-m" or "-M" in my scenario when switching from stable/12 to
stable/13 in the near future?
You should not use any options if you want to switch your working copy to new
branch. `-m` and `-M` *renames* branch!

--
// Lev Serebryakov