On 12.12.2020 09:44, techyNotes wrote:
> Hi Ali

Hi

> I had a similar problem with my HP Elitebook couple of days ago with UFS
> option. I had been experimenting with various modes and setup options
> including the file system ZFS and UFS. I would have installed and reinstalled
> Freebsd 12.2 more than 20 times!
>
> I guess the issue lies in the Installation process. Just before the final
> step of rebooting it takes sometime (more than when installing with ZFS
> option) to complete the installation closure tasks. This was not completed or
> you did not wait until the point the message popped up to reboot the system!
>
> To verify if this is the case, check your loader.conf and/or rc.conf it would
> be empty. The options you selected during the install process would not be
> recorded in these files.
>
> SOLUTION: I just reinstalled again with the option of UFS and waited on the
> last before step patiently and then finally rebooted upon the alter message
> of REBOOT option from the installer.

I'm no speaking about the installer, but an already installed system.

I don't believe there is a solution to the described issue, the blocks
of a newly installed package can make it to the disk and to the fs
metadata, but the information about it written by the package manager to
its database/plain file might not make it to the disk in case of power
failure/panic, so you would end up with an installed package that the
package manager itself doesn't know about! The issue can happen on any
filesystem, not only on UFS.

Regards,
Ali