On 2021-01-05 03:08, Pete French wrote:
So, for me the switch to git went very smoothly. I havent moved to etcupdate yet, but will probably do that soon. Hopwever I did hit one issue. What I do is to build on a single machine, and then send that to a number of places using rsync.

But what seems to happen wuth git is that it has a big pack file of objects, and the name of the opack file is the SHA1 of whatever is inside it. So if something chnages then the filename chnages - and thus rsync tries to move the entire lot
all over again, even if the change is tiny.

Does anyone have a solution to this ? Currently I am telling rsync to ignore .git
when it sends the source, but am not entirely happy with that.

But apart from that, git works fine ;)
Brilliant minds think alike. I use nearly the same routine. ;-)
Have been doing so on svn(1) as well. FWIW the only difference between passing
the archive with vs without the .git. Is that getting the details of what rev
the source is at will not be available without the .git. Same on svn.
For me this is only a minor inconvenience. To help overcome this in the past.
I issued a 'svn info /usr/src >./SRC-REV'. Then simply passed that file along
to the receiving host(s).
OTOH it won't be (easily) possible to "up" the repo(s) from the receiving hosts
w/o the .git.

HTH

--Chris

-pete.