On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 3:44 PM Ian Lepore <i...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-02-24 at 21:34 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Sometime around the first week of this month (February) the time to
> > do a
> > geli attach on my 13.0-ALPHA3 amd64 system sharply increased. It
> > started
> > taking about 10 seconds. Prior to this, it took about 3-4 seconds. I
> > have
> > not seen any issues with the disc after it attaches, I am simply
> > concerned
> > that the longer time may be indicative of a deeper issue.
> >
> > The system is a ThinkPad L15 with a CometLake i5-10210U and a Seagate
> > ST2000LM007-1R8174 2T HDD.
> > --
> > Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> > E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com
> > PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
>
> In my experience, the thing that takes the most time in a geli attach
> is the iterations of PKCS#5v2 it performs.  When you setup geli on a
> partition it calculates how many iterations take about 2 seconds to
> perform (unless you provide a specific value with the -i flag).
>
> If you set up geli on a very fast machine then move the storage to a
> slower machine, it may take much longer than 2 seconds.  (And if you
> have 10 drives to attach, 2 seconds each becomes annoying, so I tend to
> use -i with a small-ish number like 5000).
>
> Or, in your case, maybe something has changed like it used to use aesni
> accellerated instructions and now it doesn't for some reason, like
> different default flags got used on the build, or something changed in
> the crypto and/or driver framework.  That's the kind of thing I'd be
> looking for.
>
> -- Ian

I think I see the cause. The filesystem was originally encrypted with geli
several years ago... in fact I set it up shortly after geli went into
FreeBSD. I suspect that defaults changed since then and, when I got my new
system, instead of using DD to image the file system, I created a new
encrypted system with current defaults and copied the data from my backup
drive.

I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't even think about this rather
drastic change in the file system. Thanks so much for the help! Sorry to
have wasted whatever time you spent thinking about my concern.
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com