BM> I'd be surprised ... considering I did a successful `make world' about a
BM> month ago with no problems, and I've done many compilations (Apache,
BM> MySQL, php, ssh) on this machine with no problems prior to this. Still,
BM> it's a possibility, things do wear out/break/etc.

I had a machine with a CPU fan that stopped spinning.  When doing a
buildworld with anything else cpu-intensive running, it would do all
sorts of flaky things, including segfaults.

If the only thing running was buildworld, it would succeed.  If I add
in a cpu-intensive program, like the distributed.net client program,
it would consistently fail at random points.

I just put in a new fan and am testing out a buildworld with other
things running as well.

But this is most likely a hardware issue you're observing.