I've got two mobos with VIA MVP3 chipsets on-board.  As these systems
(until recently) had only SCSI peripherals, I didn't notice any problem.
However, when I added an IDE CDRW drive, I got these very strange system
lock-ups/hangs.  Specifically, this was an FIC VA-503+ mobo, with a
450MHz K6-2 CPU.

I saw on a FreeBSD mailing list a suggestion to go into the BIOS setup,
and disable "PCI Dynamic Bursting".  At least that's what it's called
in my Award BIOS.

This seemed to have "fixed" the problem for me (or at least hidden it
sufficiently well :-); perhaps it might be of some help in other situations?

louie