i forgot to include this message in my last reply, so bear w/ me...

on Jul 16 11:29, i got this from Andreas...
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 07:10:17PM -0400, parv wrote:
> > ...in the end both will do the same thing: remove/delete all the
> > installed software as listed in /var/db/pkg. if you go the 'pkg_info'
> > route, you should add '-f' and or '-d' flag.
> >
> > if pkg_delete/xargs/shell complain that 'pipe broken', 'too many
> > arguments', or some such, then you can try this...
> >
> > # find /var/db/pkg -type d -execdir pkg_delete -fd {} \;
>
> This forks a pkg_delete command for every port found, thats expensive.
> Why not use find/xargs combination in this case as well ?
>
> ( cd /var/db/pkg; find . -type d | xargs pkg_delete )
>
>       Andreas ///

to give everybody else the right context, my last message was a reply
to abe, omitted from the above andreas' quoted message...

on Jul 12 18:48, i got this from abram...
> I have updated the ports using cvsup.  So, this:
>
> cd /var/db/pkg && pkg_delete -fd *
>
> will remove all the packages and ports that are
> installed?
>
> I really want to understand what I'm doing here ;-)
>
> Another person suggested I do:
>
> pkg_info | cut -d\  -f1 | xargs pkg_delete
>
> what is the difference between what these two commands
> will do?
>
> Abe

andreas, your 'find+xargs' script is basically same as
'pkg_info+cut+xargs', as quoted by abe above, as far as 'xargs'
is concerned. so the 'too many arguments' problem is still exists.

thus was the reason of using 'find ... -execdir ...'; i suppose i
should have noted the expense instead of intentionally omitting it.

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
         - parv